Migrant workers in Canada on employer-specific work permits who are experiencing abuse, or who are at risk of abuse, in the context of their employment in Canada may be eligible to receive an open work permit that is exempt from the Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) process, per section 207.1 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR).
- Abuse consists of any of the following:
- physical abuse, including assault and forcible confinement
- sexual abuse, including sexual contact without consent
- psychological abuse, including threats and intimidation
- financial abuse, including fraud and extortion